Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Let the editing begin!

ArtPrize is over, and it's bittersweet.  It was one of the most exhilarating, enjoyable, and exhausting things I've done in my life.  The good news is that the DeVos family promised that the competition will run at least five years, and we have three more, at the minimum, to go.

I've heard some people tell me that ArtPrize should be longer, so artists in the out-of-the-way venues can get more exposure.  At first I thought that might be good, but in hindsight the two-week timeframe works pretty well.  If they were to extend the competition to three weeks, people could start to loose interest, and artists wouldn't be able to afford the stay, so it really wouldn't be feasible.

On a more positive note, I've started editing my ArtPrize documentary!  I have over 40 hours of footage, which equals 2400 minutes.  I need to cut the footage down to 40 minutes (my goal length for the film), utilizing under 2%.  This would be roughly like writing a 12,500 page novel, and cutting it down to 200 pages...but you would never see the writers attempt that.  The part that will be interesting (nota bene), is the fact I'm only giving myself a month to edit, and until the end of the year to screen the final product.  Most films spend around three months at the editing table...but I don't have that luxury.   If I were to edit on a normal timeframe, we'd be too far away from ArtPrize, and people may loose interest.

My current stage in the editing process is watching every second of the footage, marking good clips, putting aside bad ones.  It's fun to watch footage that hasn't been seen since it was taken, and you get a sense of its potential.  After this stage I'll be storyboarding, outlining the general story structure to follow in editing.

I'll be posting more updates soon, and there are a couple more interviews to post (today?), so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment