Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

ArtPrize Voting is Over!

So who in the Top 10 did you vote for?  Post it in the comments section below!

I was out for six(?) hours filming yesterday, and walked the entire city (or what seemed like it) a few times.  I grabbed some really good footage though, which made it worthwhile.

Here are some more pictures.

This, as by now you probably know, is Top 10 artist Mia Tavonatti's entry, "Svelata."  I would post voting numbers, but you can't vote anymore!  






Grand Rapids' favorite flying pig.

Another Top 10 entry, Bill Secunda's "Dancing With Lions," made completely from nails.



Not a Top 10, the large greeting card at The Bob, which was vandalized a few days ago.

Mike Pline's "Woodwinds."

Jeff Zimmermann's mural on Kendall College


After I had made the rounds to the usual venues, I decided to trek over to the Calder Plaza.  

This is a sculpture made from scythe handles (like broomsticks) by Sheila Wyne, from Anchorage,  Alaska.




Giant paperclip...we all need one of those...







Paul Baliker's Top 10 entry, "A Matter of Time."


So after all this frantic running around, I stopped at the Hub to listen to the ArtPrize speaker series, featuring Patricia Phillips, the curator and dean of graduate studies at the Rhode Islande School of Design.  She gave a very thought-provoking talk.

After that, I went to Biggby Coffee and got a seven-layer bar...don't judge me...


On my way out of town I stopped at the Ford Museum and took some night photos of Wander Martich's Top Ten entry, "Helping Mom One Penny at a Time."


On a side note, there were several musicians gracing us with their music around town, but especially around the GRAM.


As for tonight's winner announcement, I'll be there with all the other press cameras in the back.  For anyone who wants to go, it'll be at DeVos Place in the ballroom.  Doors open at 6:30 (if you want to get a seat, you'll want to line up really early), the event starts at 7:00 and runs for an hour.  It should be fun, and I can't wait to go.  


On a side note, they're letting me tap into the room's audio system, so I'll be getting much better sound than if I was using my shotgun mic.

I'm going to try to upload (at least) my last Top 10 interview before tonight's announcement.  

Also, I'll try to update from the event tonight through my Twitter feed, but there will probably be a live video stream from MLive.  I'll post more when I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment